My Life Scripture

Philippians 4:4-7 (ESV English Standard Version) Holy Bible
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let the reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds through Christ Jesus.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Christmas in July 2011 On-Line Cricut Circle Swarm Challenge #3

For Challenge #3 I created "Eggshell Ornaments".  Remember the eggshell projects of the 1970's?  I do!  I was required to make an eggshell box for a college art project.  I wish I had kept that little box.  I enjoyed the process of making the eggshell project, and thought I could use something similar for these ornaments.

Here are the step-by-step instructions for making "Eggshell Ornaments" using UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel).

I used Cricut Cartridge "Joys of  the Season" and cut 6 ornaments from a heavy, textured gold cardstock.  Three of these ornaments will be used for this project.  The other three will be used for Challenge #4.
**Collect eggshells, clean, and let completely dry.  I have had these eggshells for a long time.  They were prepared several years ago for a project.
**Assemble the equipment that you will need.   Prepared eggshells, UTEE, clear-dry glue paste, paint brush, clear pigment ink, heat embosser.
**Put one layer of UTEE on the back of the ornament.  This will provide stability and prevent the top layer from crackling.
**Using a paint brush, apply a layer of glue paste to the front of the ornament.  Coat the surface well, but don't make it too thick.
**Coat the back of the eggshell piece with the glue paste.
**Wet your fingers with water and press the eggshell piece onto the surface of the ornament.  Wetting your fingers allow the eggshell to release easily onto the ornament.
**Continue to add eggshells until you get the desired effect.  I use Tweezers and a awl to move tiny pieces of eggshell around on the surface of the glue paste.  There should not be any over-lapping pieces of eggshell.
**Let the ornament completely dry.  I left mine overnight. 
**Then begin adding layers of UTEE.  Rub clean, clear pigment ink over the ornament and sprinkle with UTEE.  Heat with the heating tool until all the embossing crystals completely melt.   I usually cover with at least 3 layers, but the more you add the thicker and richer the surface.  Be sure to let each layer completely dry before adding another.
**Before the last layer of UTEE dried, I positioned a vellum butterfly into the liquid UTEE.
**Add some gold Stickles and a ribbon...and...you have an "Eggshell Ornament"!
**But...there is more!  Even Circlets can become ornaments!
These little Circlets were made by Sandie O for table decorations at the Kentucky Meet Up!  I thought they would make a great embellishment for an eggshell ornament!

3 comments:

Nadia said...

Great idea, Carolyn. What a fun way to recycle!

cdm317 said...

These are awesome!

chignon said...

Those ornaments are fantastic with the egg mosaic! Great idea :)