My Life Scripture

Philippians 4:4-7 (ESV English Standard Version) Holy Bible
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let the reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds through Christ Jesus.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Blueberry Picking 2011

I have a second career (retirement is my first career! LOL!!)!!  For three years I have had the opportunity to participate in SHARECROPPING!!  A local blueberry farm allows me to pick and we split 50/50.  I have picked 74 pounds of blueberries over the past three Saturdays.  That means I have 32 pounds in my freezer!  Yea!!

Here are some photos from my blueberry picking trip on Saturday, July 30, 2011.  I picked 20 pounds.  My daughter and I picked from 7:15 AM to 9:45 AM.  It was a beautiful sunny morning in Northeast Georgia!
The blueberry farm is located in Alto, Georgia.  It is a no spray/chemical, U pick farm.  I pick to help the owners fill orders for blueberries.  Berry pickers are allowed to spray themselves with bug spray, but we must wash our hands with soap before the picking day begins.  I wear lots of clothes and lots of bug spray!  I learned the hardway that chiggers are not a pleasant experience!
This is the entrance to the 25 acre farm.  You can see some of the U-Pick customers!
Here is a picture of the couple that own the farm!
The farm owners provides each picker a strap and bucket to make picking berries easier.
The berries are plentiful this year!  This is fairly early in the season, so we pick carefully to leave the unripened berries on the bush.
This is my blueberry haul for the day.  The berries have been graded (inspected).  I put 6 quart bags filled to capacity from this bowl of berries in my freezer on Saturday.

3 comments:

~Suzy~ said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing your story! Those are great pics and the LO will be a great way to remember the day. Can't wait to see it...and what you make with all the blueberries. We like blueberry pancakes and blueberry syrup. Yum!

Tracy_ScrappinMom said...

It makes your mouth water!! The layout will be awesome.

Gina piazza said...

Oh my; what a neat thing to do. Thanks for posting this with all the photos.