This project of Framed Flowers was inspired by Spring 2012 issue of
"Paper Creations" Magazine (pages 34-34 by Shanna Vineyard)
Almost all the paper is from "The Silky Smooth" Cardstock Stack by DCWV! A wonderful smooth finished cardstock! The smooth finish is on one side of the paper.
The frames are from the Dollar Store! That's right...these were $1 a pack!
There are approximately 14 frames in assorted sizes in heavy weight cardstock
for around $8.00!
All the flowers, except 1 small one, are made using "The Silky Smooth" Cardstock Stack by DCWV and Spellbinders Shapeabilities "Spiral Blossom One" and "Spiral Blossom Two" dies.
A very small flower was cut using the Cricut Cartridge "Flower Shoppe"
These are the main elements used to create the "Framed Flowers" project.
Flower Tip...I use a quilling tool to roll the spirals to form the flowers. This allows more/less pressure as the flower forms.
A piece of "The Silky Smooth" cardstock was cut to use as the 'sky' background. Clouds were stamped on the cardstock to help with the illusion.
Paper tip...Pigment ink (such as the one shown) does not dry on the DCWV 'Silky' cardstock without assistance. I allowed the ink to set overnight on the paper and it did not dry! If you want to emboss the paper, you will need to use embossing powder and heat!
I tried to heat the ink without embossing powder and it did not dry!
You must use the embossing powder!
Disclaimer...I did not try regular dye ink on the 'Silky' cardstock. I do not know if it will dry on its own. I will try this technique on another project and let you know!
I covered the white stamped clouds with clear embossing powder. Using a colored ink and clear embossing powder helps to prevent stray color and powder dots on the project.
I heat emboss the powder to create a beautiful stamped image.
I have a 12x12inch floor tile that I keep on hand for heat embossing. It saves the surface of my work table and aids in the heating process. I have 6x6 inch tile for smaller projects.
The butterfly is created by using a Martha Stewart punch. I cut the butterfly 3 times...1 cut from a heavy weight colored Velum, then twice from a lightweight translucent Velum. The layers are adhered together with dimensional dots. The top of the butterfly is embellished with a small row of 5 'pearls'! The edges are folded up to give motion to the butterfly!
The stems and flowers are laid on the background. The leaves are made using a punch, then added to the stems/flowers using Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive. Add the butterfly and allow the glue to dry completely!
Flower Tip...I wanted a small blossom for the top. I rolled the spiral very tightly and then cut away the last section of the spiral.
Place thick dimension dots on the back of the frame. This will give depth to the frame.
Carefully lay the frame over the flowers and press down to adhere to glue dots.
Thank you for visiting my blog! Have a wonderful day!