My Life Scripture

Philippians 4:4-7 (ESV English Standard Version) Holy Bible
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let the reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds through Christ Jesus.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Framed Flowers using DCWV "The Silky Smooth" Cardstock Stack

This project of Framed Flowers was inspired by Spring 2012 issue of
"Paper Creations" Magazine (pages 34-34 by Shanna Vineyard)
Almost all the paper is from "The Silky Smooth" Cardstock Stack by DCWV!  A wonderful smooth finished cardstock!  The smooth finish is on one side of the paper.
The frames are from the Dollar Store!  That's right...these were $1 a pack!
There are approximately 14 frames in assorted sizes in heavy weight cardstock
for around $8.00!
All the flowers, except 1 small one, are made using "The Silky Smooth" Cardstock Stack by DCWV and Spellbinders Shapeabilities "Spiral Blossom One" and "Spiral Blossom Two" dies.
A very small flower was cut using the Cricut Cartridge "Flower Shoppe"
These are the main elements used to create the "Framed Flowers" project.
Flower Tip...I use a quilling tool to roll the spirals to form the flowers.  This allows more/less pressure as the flower forms.
A piece of "The Silky Smooth" cardstock was cut to use as the 'sky' background.  Clouds were stamped on the cardstock to help with the illusion.
Paper tip...Pigment ink (such as the one shown) does not dry on the DCWV 'Silky' cardstock without assistance.  I allowed the ink to set overnight on the paper and it did not dry!  If you want to emboss the paper, you will need to use embossing powder and heat! 
I tried to heat the ink without embossing powder and it did not dry! 
You must use the embossing powder!
Disclaimer...I did not try regular dye ink on the 'Silky' cardstock.  I do not know if it will dry on its own.  I will try this technique on another project and let you know!
I covered the white stamped clouds with clear embossing powder.  Using a colored ink and clear embossing powder helps to prevent stray color and powder dots on the project.
I heat emboss the powder to create a beautiful stamped image.
I have a 12x12inch floor tile that I keep on hand for heat embossing.  It saves the surface of my work table and aids in the heating process.  I have 6x6 inch tile for smaller projects.
The butterfly is created by using a Martha Stewart punch.  I cut the butterfly 3 times...1 cut from a heavy weight colored Velum, then twice from a lightweight translucent Velum.  The layers are adhered together with dimensional dots.  The top of the butterfly is embellished with a small row of 5 'pearls'!  The edges are folded up to give motion to the butterfly!
The stems and flowers are laid on the background.  The leaves are made using a punch, then added to the stems/flowers using Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive.  Add the butterfly and allow the glue to dry completely! 
Flower Tip...I wanted a small blossom for the top.  I rolled the spiral very tightly and then cut away the last section of the spiral.
Place thick dimension dots on the back of the frame.  This will give depth to the frame.
Carefully lay the frame over the flowers and press down to adhere to glue dots.
Framed Flowers!

Thank you for visiting my blog!  Have a wonderful day!




19 comments:

Inkyfingers said...

Ooooh my Carolyn, you have excelled yourself with this project. Your step by step pictures really help with understanding how you put it all together. Outstanding!
Hugs
Carol x

Houses Built of Cards said...

Oh my...this is just LOVELY!!! What amazing work! Thanks for all the tips and tricks too!!!

housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

Trent and Meg said...

Good work!!! :D

Debby said...

Wow!! This is just lovely! Thanks for sharing!

Jan said...

Absolutely stunning! I love all your details.

I have to go check out that paper in person.

Jan

bird said...

Very beautiful!!

ClaireR said...

wow! Love love love your project. Love the color combo. I might be scraplifting :)
tfs!
claire
www.threewaterscreations.com

Cindy Vernon said...

Woww! Love this, so beautiful.

Scrapper69 said...

WOW! What a BEAUTIFUL PROJECT! I simply LOVE it! And the fact that DCWV finally came out with a smooth stack is AWESOME! Not a huge fan of their texture CS.... Soooo knowing they have the smooth may make me buy it and use that! :O)

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

What a beautiful project! Love the detail. TFS

Lori said...

Your frames are just gorgeous. I love the three dimensional aspect :)

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Carolyn this is just GORGEOUS... I love that butterfly. I have tried making a few flowers with the 'Flower Shoppe' cartridge but need a whole lot more practice.. Your flowers are beautiful

Cricut Couple said...

Two Words! STUUUU NING!!!

lena said...

Amazing job. I enjoy peeking at your blog. I am a new follower and love to invite you to my blog for a give away @ lenascrafts.blogspot.com

Scrappin with the bug said...

Wow so pretty thanks for the cute little project idea. Also thanks for the tips. Let us know about the inks.

Thanks,

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

These are beautiful!
Carri~abusybee
www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

Kimberli said...

Wow, this is amazing!!

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

This is so pretty beyond words! Time to hit the dollar store ;)

Maria Jhun said...

Very beautiful! I will try this...you really inspire me every time!