My Life Scripture

Philippians 4:4-7 (ESV English Standard Version) Holy Bible
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let the reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds through Christ Jesus.

Friday, April 27, 2012

An Explosion of Hope!

I am an Exploding Box newbie!
I have wanted to make one of these for years, but was never motivated to create an
Exploding Box!
There is a challenge on the  Exploring Cricut Blog
that inspired me to create an Exploding Box!  After checking through my Cricut Cartridges, I found there are no Exploding Boxes on any of the cartridges that I have.
So, I had to rethink the challenge!
I made the Cricut box part of the surprise inside the Exploding Box!
More about that later!
The Exploding Box is labor intensive, but with clear instructions, the box
isn't really complicated to make.
I used Cricut Cartridge "Flower Shoppe" for the flowers and the Cuttlebug embossing folder "Kassie's Brocade" for the decorative layers on the outside.  The lace and trim were some that I had in my stash.
I think it is time to open the Exploding Box!
Isn't this fun!
I had the best time decorating these little pages!
Notice the box in the middle!  It holds lots of hope and encouragement!
The little popcorn box is created using the Cricut Cartridge "Tag, Bags, Boxes, and More". I decorated it with layers made using the Cuttlebug folder "Kassie's Brocade" inked with Versa Mark Turquoise pigment ink. The little box is permanently glued to the Exploding Box.
A close up of the little box.  I have messages of hope and inspiration inside the little box.
The pages have scripture and inspirational messages.
Butterflies and gemstones decorate these pages.
Handmade paper, paper punches, and stamps decorate these pages.
More messages of hope and encouragement.
More pages!
An Explosion of Hope!
There are more messages of hope and encouragement inside the box!
These little messages are included!
I used this paper pack from Big Lots for the Exploding Box.
I used a variety of equipment to create the Exploding Box.
I used these stamp sets for the pages.


This ends my Exploding Box post!

If you would like have the instructions for making the Exploding Box keep reading!
I have created a picture tutorial!

You will need 3 sheets of 12 inch x 12 inch cardstock.  A heavier weight paper is desirable for this project.  I am using 3 different colors for the tutorial.
Cut 1 at 9 inches x 9 inches (lavender)
Cut 1 at 8 5/8 inches x 8 5/8 inches (green)
Cut 1 at 8 1/4 inches x 8 1/4 inches (yellow)
Score the 9x9 sheet on all sides at 3 inches (shown here)
I went over the score marks with ink so you can see how it is scored.
All three sheets should be scored as shown.
Score the 8 5/8 x 8 5/8 sheet on all sides at 2 7/8 inches
Score the 8 1/4 x 8 1/4 sheet on all sides at 2 3/4 inches
Following the score lines, cut off the four corners on all three sheets.
As shown in this picture.
Now is the time to ink the edges (if desired).  Be sure to ink both sides of the paper.
If you wish to round the corners, do that now.  I will not round the edges on this box.  I did round the edges on the earlier Exploding Box.
It is time to adhere the papers together.  Turn the smallest section (yellow) over and put double sided tape in the middle section.  The tape is difficult to see in this photo, but it is there!
Turn the paper over, center it over the middle paper (green) and adhere together.
Put double sided tape on the back of the middle paper (as shown).  Turn over, center on the largest paper (lavender) and adhere.
The three papers should line up like this.
Full view!
Fold up the sections to form the Exploding Box!
You are now ready to decorate to your heart's desire!
As many pages as you wish, however you wish!
To create contrasting layers, I used the following measurements:
Large layer--2  3/4 inches x 2 3/4 inches
Medium layer--2 5/8 inches x 2 5/8 inches
Small layer--2 3/8 inches x 2 3/8 inches
Center of box--2 5/8 inches x 2 5/8 inches
Cut as many layers as you wish!
The Lid!
To create the lid...
Cut 1 sheet at 6 1/4 inches x 6 1/4 inches
Score at 1 1/2 inches from all edges
Turn the scored paper over.  Score from the tip of each corner diagonally to the corner lines.
(Shown above with ink)
Don't forget to ink the edges of the lid (if desired)!
Fold all scorelines, pinch corners, and fold inward.
Use glue to hold the lid together.  Double sided tape may not hold over time.
I use Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive to hold the corners together.  I put paperclips on the lid to hold the corners in place until they dry.  The lid will be removed many times and will have decorations added to the top.  Glue works better than tape!
And there you have it!  An Exploding Box!
Waiting to be decorated!


Thank you for visiting my blog today!
I hope you have found the information useful!

I plan to enter my Exploding Box in the "Exploring Cricut" challenge

Have a wonderful weekend!
Comments are loved and appreciated!










31 comments:

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

Hey, Carolyn! Thanks so much for the instructions on how to make an explosion box. Yours turned out wonderful! As always, I am beyond impressed with your attention to details. I have missed coming here and the CC MB. Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

This is gorgeous! Love the papers you used. Thanks for joining us at Exploring Cricut!

The Nan said...

First of all, this is the most inspiring and beautiful exploding box i have seen! I love your paper choices (I have the same set) and the Bible verses you stamped are so uplifting!

Secondly, thank you so much for you wonderful and simple tutorial. I really appreciate being able to see every step.

I intend to scrap lift much of your box!

MLiss3 said...

Beautiful Carolyn! Who wouldn't be awed at receiving a box filled with special thoughts! Thanks for the tutorial too. I just may have to try one.

Vanessa said...

Oh my, that's beautiful! I love the colors and all the pretty details. What a great idea to make such a lovely box filled with encouragement! TFS!

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

What a beautiful box. I love the colors and the fact that it is filled with scripture! What a treasure this will be. TFS

Scrapper69 said...

WOW! This is an AMAZING Exploding box! I LOVE all the details and the pretty colors Carolyn! Luckily for me.... I can make this type of box with my Silhouette! Yup! There's a download for it! :o)
Thanks for sharing all your details on how to make one! :o)

Diane said...

What a wonderful box and you certainly thought outside the box by putting one in the midle! Totally love your idea and thanks for entering our challenge at Exploring Cricut.

CREATIVE M said...

You did an Amazing job!The colors, sentiments and tutorial are fabulous!TFS

mona said...

Beautiful! Thank you sooo much!!!

The Creative Mommy said...

I can say just one thing...WOW!!! You have CERTAINLY gone above and beyond with this box!!! I know who ever the lucky reciepent of this box is is one LUCKY person!!! This is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

WONDERFUL job!!!

Thanks so much for joining us at Exploring Cricut!

Crafty Hugs,
Jessica
www.craftinandstampin.blogspot.com

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Carolyn ths is just so beautiful . Thank you for sharing it and the instructions. I love the verses, all the hope and encouragement. I want to make one . Did u type out the verses? Love it

Hrvatica said...

Gorgeous exploding box. Very nice paper choices and definitely inspirational.

Nadia (WithGlitteringEyes.com) said...

Love this tutorial! I have never made one either but, with these directions, I know I can!

I love the messages of hope in the cup! That is so special!

Beautiful project!!

This -after that Planes, Train, and Autos project--- you are into heavy-duty cutting!!!! Love it!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Carolyn where did u get all the stamps with the verses? I wold love to have stamps with verses and words of encouragement... I so love your explosion box.. Especially because of how you added the verses...
Thanks
Sandy

PolkaDotPrincess said...

What a beautiful and encouraging gift!

Carolyn/MamaC said...

Sandy...I have collected scripture stamps/inpirational sayings/comforting messages for several years. Hobby Lobby has a section of Bible verses in their wooden stamps. Every time I go into a craft/hobby store, I look for more. I do not order over the internet much, but I would think there are lots of sites avaiable. This has been a long-term collection!
Carolyn

ddair said...

Thank you SO much for sharing the step by step directions for this beautiful, inspiring box. I love your work.
Diania

Sharon said...

Oh my goodness!! This is most beautiful!!!!! WOW!!!!!! And this is your first time making an exploding box? No Way!!!!! Thank you so very much for joining our challenge at Exploring Cricut!!!! :)

L.B. said...

resisting paid off as you made sure it would be so perfect when you made one. LOVE!!!!

Princess Poodle said...

This box is beautiful! I can't even imagine the time you have invested in this project. Thank you for the tutorial, you have done an amazing job.

Lisa said...

Your box is GORGEOUS. Thank you so much for the instructions. I made one of these years ago but haven't made one since. I am going to make one for a friends birthday. WOW I can't believe how beautiful yours came out. It is a labor of love but so worth it.

Cricut Couple said...

Wow! This is AMAZING!!! I love all of the amazing details and there is so much to look at... have to go back and admire a while longer!

Inkyfingers said...

Oh my Caroline, you have done it again with this magnificent project. All the details are perfect and some of the little quotes are so wonderful. This must be a winner in the challenge!
Hugs
Carol x

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Great explosion box!

Lori said...

This box is literally so inspiring. I know someone that is going through a tough time... what a way to encourage her. Thanks for the inspiration. Your box is simply beautiful. I wish you didn't pick such beautiful paper. I feel like I have to get every single one you get!

Arcy Scraps said...

Wow!!! I'm sooo impressed, this is stunning! PS thanks for leaving your blog address, definitely amazing!!!

Kimberli said...

Your box is fantastic, so inspiring!! I've never made one either but you've definitely inspired me to try!

Sis Patterson said...

Glorious project - great details, colors, and your messages of hope tie it all together so well. I love the cup of hope! WONDERFUL!

Erna said...

Beautiful! Creative! Artisitic! Inspiring! Motivating! Thank you!

Debby said...



What a blessing this will be to the person that receives it. And even more of a blessing for you to give such a detailed instructions. I do not think I am
crafty' ennough at the moment to put something like this together. So, I have saved it as a favorite and will work on this suring the winter months coming up.

Gos bless you for sharing this with us.

Thanks!!