My Life Scripture

Philippians 4:4-7 (ESV English Standard Version) Holy Bible
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let the reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds through Christ Jesus.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Cuttlebug Quilled Daisy Kit...Tutorial!

This may seem to be a simple quilled flower to you, but to me...it is a success story!
I wanted a Cuttlebug Quilled flower kit as soon as I saw it on Cricut.com.  I now have the Daisy and Rose kits, but have never created a flower until this morning.  I watched YouTube videos and saw tutorials, but just could not seem to get the technique right...until today!
This is my first flower using the Cuttlebug Daisy Kit!
The kit comes with 4 thin dies that include the strips in this pictures plus leaves to use with the flowers.  A quilling tool, 'stems' to hold the flowers, and a pre-made sample of the flower are also included.  I will be using the yellow and white strips to create my next flower.
**Tip...Cuttlebug 'sandwich' for using the dies is A Plate, C Plate, die, paper, B Plate.  You will need to use the long plates (13 inch) for the quilling kits.
To create the flower you will need a good adhesive, a quilling tool, and the paper strips.
Glossy Accents is the best adhesive for this project.  It grabs the paper and adheres the edges immediately.  You can continue the project without waiting for it to dry. 
Read on and you will understand what I mean!
Insert the narrow strip into the quilling tool.  Roll the paper toward you.  Roll tight!
When you get to the end of the narrow strip, but a dot of Glossy Accents on the end.  Don't release the pressure on the rolled paper.  Keep it tight!
**Note of interest...I am taking these pictures with one hand!  Please excuse any bloopers and blurred images!
Lay the small petal strip on top of the glue.  Keep the bottom edge as straight as possible.  Hold the two pieces together for just a moment.  You are now ready to continue rolling.
**Here is where Glossy Accents is awesome!  It grabs that paper and doesn't let go!  Even wet!  Sorry Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive...I still love ya, but Glossy Accents beats you for this job!
Keep a tight roll!  Watch the bottom edge....keep it even!
You are now ready to add the last petal strip.  Using the Glossy Accents, lay the last layer on top of the small layer.  Try to lay it over one of the small petals.  This will help to keep the flower even and smooth.  Sorry about the blurred image!
Keep a tight roll!
All three layers are tightly rolled and still on the quilling tool.
This takes some practice.  The paper wants to slip off the quilling tool, but you are bigger and stronger than that little piece of paper...keep it tight and on that quilling tool!
**Tip...don't remove the paper from the quilling tool yet!  This is the perfect time to spread out the petals!
While holding the flower on the quilling tool, start folding the petals.
Keep working with the flower until you get it like you want it.
I really liked the way the flower looked on the quilling tool. When I removed the flower, I DID NOT let it relax.  I immediately put Glossy Accents on the end.
Here is my second Cuttlebug Daisy Kit flower..with a yellow center!
Add a leaf from the quilled daisy kit...and there you have it!
This is the sample daisy that comes with the kit.
**Tip...cut another large petal strip.  By adding the extra strip it will make the flower have more petals and make it more full!

I hope you have found this tutorial helpful.
Comments are always appreciated!

**EDITED**
I created  a daisy using two each of the petal strips.
The white daisy is from the segment above.  The coral flower was created using the double petal strips.  Notice the difference between the two flowers.
This card features the daisies from this post and a rose from the Cuttlebug Quilling Rose Kit.
For more information about the card please click here

Again, thank you for visiting my blog!




15 comments:

Nadia (WithGlitteringEyes.com) said...

This is a fantastic tutorial!!! I just pinned it on Pinterest so I wouldn't forget it! Thank you for doing this and for your clear instructions!!

Josie0602 said...

Oh that turned out so pretty!!! Thanks for explaining how to make them. I bought the mum kit over a year ago and have not made one flower yet. I may get it out this weekend and play!!

Tracy

Carolyn/MamaC said...

Thank you for the kind comments! I wanted to give a very detailed tutorial because that is the way that I learn best! I thought someone else could use the info, too. I guess that is the retired teacher in me!
Nadia...thank you for pinning this!
Carolyn

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

I have been wanting this kit too, but was afraid I wouldn't be able to make successfully. I have so many flower carts and still haven't made a successful flower yet. You give me hope. TFS

EKittyScraps said...

Nice Tutorial MamaC. I am going to try this on my MIL's b-day card I need to make. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Thanks for the tutorial Carolyn, i have been trying to use the quilling tools, but now with much success. Thanks for all the little tips, maybe i can have a success story now... hugs

kimberlyann207 said...

I just bought this set a week or so ago ... Thank you so much for the tutorial! I'll definitely try the Glossy Accents :)

Inkyfingers said...

What a fabulous tutorial Carolyn. I really must give this a try. I loved your previous card too - great way to make good use of one sheet of card.
Hugs
Carol x

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Your flowers came out super!

Marty said...

Great tutorial MamaC I bought this kit and the mum kit in Indianna at my first meetup and have yet to make a presentable flower. I can't wait to try again. Thanks your flowers are gorgeous.

Shelley said...

Love this. Thank you for sharing!

Shelley

Kimberli said...

Fantastic tutorial and gorgeous flowers - thanks for sharing!!

DIANA L. said...

Beautiful flowers

Anonymous said...

Have you tried cutting felt with these?

ScrappyKats said...

Thanks for sharing this. I had no luck before and put my dies back in the box into the drawer. Think I need to give them a try again. You made it look easy :-)