My Life Scripture

Philippians 4:4-7 (ESV English Standard Version) Holy Bible
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let the reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds through Christ Jesus.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Cuttlebug Tutorial Part 5 "Using Tim Holtz, Sizzix, and Spellbinders Dies"

"The Thick and the Thin of It"
The "Cuttlebug" is a mechanical die cutting and embossing machine made by
ProvoCraft.

I am not employed by Provocraft.  These are my own personal experiences and opinions using the Cuttlebug.

The Cuttlebug can be used with cutting dies other than Cuttlebug/Provocraft products.
For this post, I will be using cutting dies from Tim Holtz, Sizzix and Spellbinders.

The manual that comes with the Cuttlebug includes instructions for using other brands of cutting dies.  This section is located in the middle of the manual.
These are examples of the 'thick' dies that I have in my collection.  These dies are made by Tim Holtz (left) and Sizzix (right).
The 'sandwich' for using the thick dies in the Cuttlebug is
starting at the bottom...
B Plate
thick die (foam side up)
paper (front side toward the die)
B Plate
Give a little push, roll the 'sandwich' through and the pieces cut beautifully!
I have the original Cuttlebug, a blue one, and the green.  All three work with this 'sandwich'.
These are a few of the 'thin' dies that I have.  All are made by Spellbinders.
For the 'sandwich' to cut using the 'thin' dies, I use...
A plate
1 piece of cardstock (add another piece if needed)
*Word of caution...be careful when adding additional layers of cardstock.  Too many layers can cause damage to the Cuttlebug.  There should be a little bit of resistance at first when you are pushing the 'sandwich' through the Cuttlebug.  But don't use strong force to push the 'sandwich' through.  You may break the Cuttlebug!  I know...it happened to me!
C Plate
Thin die (rough side up)
Paper (front of paper toward the die)
B Plate
Give a little push, roll the 'sandwich' through, and it cuts beautifully!
Again, the original, blue, and green Cuttlebugs work with this sandwich.

Please check out  Cuttlebug Tutorial Parts 1, 2, 3, and 4!


Have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!
Comments are loved and appreciated!

8 comments:

Nadia (WithGlitteringEyes.com) said...

You are now the Queen of the Cuttlebug! Great tutorial!!

MLiss3 said...

Carolyn, thanks for this. I kind of came up with my own TH way, but I will definitely try how you do it. Now, I'n not afraid to buy more. Also need to try those SB dies. Have a few!

Cropalcoholic!! said...

Thanks for the tutorial Carolyn!!!

Cropalcoholic!! said...

Thanks for the tutorial Carolyn!!!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

I have too go back and read all your tutorials - hugs

Ian said...

Carolyn, this was such a wonderful tutorial! Thanks for walking us through it and showing everything the Cuttlebug can do. Love it! I really ought to use my Cuttlebug more. You've inspired me! :)

Blue Moon Creation said...

Thank you! I don't know why I waited until now to look at who has tried the thick dies! Now off to buy some!

Anonymous said...

Thanks l needed this and you made it easy to learn!