My Life Scripture

Philippians 4:4-7 (ESV English Standard Version) Holy Bible
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let the reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds through Christ Jesus.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Judging Scrapbooks made with the Cricut in prison!

Did that title get your attention!!
Did you know there are some Cricuts in prison!!??

I am a volunteer at the Georgia Lee Arrendale State Prison for Women in Alto, Georgia!
Several months ago, the Mental Health Department received a GENEROUS donation of Cricut machines, many cartridges, Cuttlebug and folders/dies, and the list goes on and on!
I know the donor from the Cricut Message Board.  One of the stipulations to receiving the donation was for me to show the instructors at the facility how to use the equipment!
Everything went as planned and I spent a wonderful morning at the prison showing how to operate the machines!

Several other message board members sent donations of all kinds to the facility!
Click here for the details...

My papercrafting buddy, Cheryl, helped me during a card making workshop
that was held in the prison last year.
Click here for the details...

Well, I am about to find out if my training was helpful!

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012, I will be judging scrapbooks that inmates have made!! 

There are 4 classes within the Mental Health Facility.  Each class has submitted scrapbooks for judging!  There will be 45-50 scrapbooks to view and judge!
I am so excited, I can hardly wait until Wednesday!

I can't take pictures inside the prison!  But the director of the Mental Health Department can take selected photos!  I will get her to take a few pictures and hopefully I will be able to post them on my blog!!!

22 comments:

snappy scrappy said...

That is so neat!! Lee-Ann :)

L.B. said...

How wonderful that these machines have been in use and you get to go back and see Enjoy.

Sara Andrews said...

I can only imagine how wonderful it will be to see your hard work and efforts with these ladies there in paper form. You are truely an advocate for them and should be so proud of yourself. I know I am!

Josie0602 said...

What a wonderful and positive message to those that are in the facility. I imagine it is quite uplifting for them to have this craft available to them. Bless you for your participation!

Tracy

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

How wonderful to be doing such a wonderful thing. The Lord is working mightily in and through you! TFS

Cindy@ Scrap-obsessed.blogspot.com said...

This is such a wonderful thing you're doing. I know I have some things in my room that I can donate. Please let me know if you would like me to send stuff to you. You are awesome.
Cindy

Nadia (WithGlitteringEyes.com) said...

I love that you have done this for them! I can only imagine that it is a welcome change to be able to create something beautiful when in that situation!

And to those sweet crafters who made donations, WOW! I am so impressed.

You have created an army of good!

Gina piazza said...

I have been loving reading about your journey with these ladies...
What a wonderful thing you are doing and how terrific that they have put your teaching to good use.
I am excited to hear all about them after your visit

Emerald said...

Thank you so much for the blessing you have been to others, including us cricut's!
Hugs

Barb Smith said...

What a great idea to volunteer at the prison. I'm sure the inmates love to participate in making crafts for their families. I volunteer one day a week in the Emergency Department at a large hospital. I just love it and I know I'm making a valuable contribution.

Barb from Toronto, Canada

Sandy from Ukiah said...

What a wonderful thing to do Carolyn, I am excited for you. Can't wait to see the photos you are able to get. I remember you doing this.. Hugs

Elizabeth said...

MamaC --
When I grow up I want to be just like you. :)
I too have some donations. If you want me to bring them with me to GA the end of July, let me know. I'd love to be a part of what you are doing.
Elizabeth

Georgiana said...

What a great idea and I am sure you will be seeing fabulous scrapbooks on jugding day.

Stay Creative,
Georgiana
Carson's Creations

Ohhh Snap said...

It's so wonderful that you are able to share your love of crafting. Looking forward to hearing about the entries :D.

Missy said...

Wow, what a terrific service you are doing!! What a great program!!

Sukie said...

Wow, you do amazing work. I was just stopping by to let you know to check out the Everyday Cricut blog. I was checking it out to see if I was the winner of the awesome cartridge, haha, but saw that you had won. It could not have gone to a sweeter lady, congratulations!

Carolyn/MamaC said...

Oh, Sukie! Thank you for the 'heads-up' on winning the cartridge! I have gone to the website and sent in the necessary info! What a wonderful way to end a Sunday evening!
Carolyn

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

This sounds like a wonderful project! Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Erna said...

"Good things come to those who create!"

Roxx.T Barnes said...

Congratulations on winning the Spring Cottage cart at Everyday Cricut!With all the great things you are doing at the prison you deserve to win!!

Can't wait to see how they're scrapbooks turn out.

Roxx.T

Cricutbug - Marie said...

Carolyn
You are such an inspiration! It will be some powerful moment to see what these women created thanks to you. I've been following you on this journey and look forward to hearing how it goes!
Marie

AJ Scrapbooking and Cards said...

Wow this is so cool and such a great cause and idea. TFS AJ!