My Life Scripture

Philippians 4:4-7 (ESV English Standard Version) Holy Bible
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let the reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds through Christ Jesus.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

One thing leads to another!

Have you ever heard the saying, "One thing leads to another"?
Well, that happened with this project!  It took over a week to complete this card!
Today's post is not about the card.  It is about what happened as a result of trying to make the card!  I had an idea of how I wanted the card to look, but I wasn't sure of what I had to complete the project.  I wanted to use the Cuttlebug, but I couldn't remember all the embossing folders and cutting dies that I had!

So...

I decided to emboss/cut all the folders and dies that I owned.  These two resource books are the end result of my week-long project!
The cover/back of this index is made from heavy cardboard with holes punched at the top, plastic photo holder sheets to hold the samples, and rings to hold the pages together.  I used Sizzix "Graffiti" font dies to label the front of the index.
I embossed a sample of all the folders using plain cardstock and paper.  Then took a die ink pad and rubbed it over the image so that it could easily be seen.  The sample was put into photo holder sheets.  Every sample was labeled with the name of the folder.
A sample of the emboss/cut folders was created and glued to a piece of cardboard.  The cut-out image was put on the cardboard using foam tape.
The All-in-One images were also created and put behind photo plastic and labeled.

I can add more samples as they are purchased by opening the rings and adding pages!

Die cuts were put into a smaller notebook.  I bought this little notebook on sale at Michaels for less than a dollar!  It came in a variety of colors!  The cover is very durable and the pages are good quality paper.  This became the index for die cuts!  The cover is created using the Sizzix "Graffiti" and a Cuttlebug set of dies "Zoo Animals".
All the images are cut out and glued to the pages.  The images are identified with a label.
I cut samples of all the Spellbinders Nestibilites, inked the edges, and then glued them on top of each other.  This is an easy way to check the size image you need without having to take out the actual dies to find the right size.
The little notebook contains several pages!  There were enough pages to index all the dies that I have and several more pages were left available for future purchases.

Again, one thing leads to another!!

Now I had to make storage of the folders and dies easy to use, too!
I already had a place for Cuttlebug storage, but I had to make it easy to use with the indexes.
I created storage for embossing folders and die in this two-drawer unit that I bought at an office supply store.
Embossing folders/cutting dies are labeled and put into the drawers in alphabetical order.
Multi-die sets are put into snack bags, labeled and put into the drawers in alphabetical order
Cuttlebug equipment storage
Storage for large dies and the All-in-One Embossing System
After all the embossing, cutting, inking, indexing, storing...I decided to use the All-in-One embossing plate from "Thank You" on my card!
This is exactly what I need to begin my card project!
The card post will be next!!

Have a wonderful day and thank you for reading through this LONG post!




9 comments:

snappy scrappy said...

Beautiful card...great organizing tips too! Lee-Ann :)

Creative M said...

Lovely Card!!Great Idea on Organizing the Cuttlebug Dies....TFS

Vanessa said...

Your post made me chuckle-- I'm easily sidetracked, but rarely does it result in becoming more organized! Thanks for sharing your ideas. Your books are so cute! And the card is very pretty; I'm looking forward to reading more about it.

Karons Krafty Korner said...

Firstly I would like to say that you card is beautiful. And I sympathize with you - I easily get distracted on a daily basis. But usually accomplish nothing! You have made awesome reference books and sorted your storage. Brilliant. TFS

Georgiana said...

Your organizational system of cuttlebug folders and nestabilities is awesome. I need to do something with my spellbinders. Thanks for sharing the ideas.

Stay Creative,
Georgiana
Carson's Creations

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Your card is gorgeous! AND wowzer!! I am impressed with your storage solution... I wonder if my Daughter would do this for mine?? LOL! Carri~abusybee
www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

trentfamily said...

What about the card? You didn't tell us about the card! See, I have a one track mind and never, ever get distracted! :)

Charlotte C said...

But at least you FINISHED your card. I'd have forgotten where I was supposed to be. lol.

Erna said...

Wonderful card - love the Heartfelt die - so versatile. Your organizational tips are fantastic. My entire workspace is 40ft², which includes a table, a chest of drawers, a large bookshelf and a medium sized bookshelf (yes it is possible!) - so I need all the help I can get!