My Life Scripture

Philippians 4:4-7 (ESV English Standard Version) Holy Bible
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let the reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds through Christ Jesus.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

"Cascading Card" from CardMaker Magazine! Phase 1/Creating the Card Base

The Spring 2013 issue of CardMaker Magazine arrived in the mail last week.  The Cascading Card on the front cover is so beautiful that I decided to create the card using my stash of supplies, paper punches, Spellbinders dies, Sizzix dies and the Cuttlebug.

"Cascading Birthday Card" is designed by Debbie Seyer for Spellbinders Paper Arts.  The detailed instructions and helpful photos of the Cascading Card are on pages 16-17, 93. 
My finished version of the "Cascading Birthday Card"!
I followed the instructions carefully and was able to create the card using the instructions provided in the magazine.
 
The following photos and instructions incorporate information from the magazine article plus my own changes, tips and techniques.  I took all the photos that are shown as I created the second "Cascading Birthday Card".
Phase 1
Selecting cardstock and creating the card base 
I used 2 sheets of 12 inch x 12 inch heavy weight, double-side cardstock.  Two sheets of 8 1/2 inch x 11 inch light weight cardstock in a lighter color will be used for layers on the card.
Equipment for creating the card base
Fiskars Paper Trimmer, Martha Stewart Scoreboard, scissors, metal ruler, and pencil
1 sheet 12x12 inch cardstock
Cut two strips at 12 x 5 1/2-inches
Lay one of the strips on a flat surface.  Measure and mark 2 1/2 inches from the bottom of the right side of the strip.  I am using a white gel pen to show the marking.  Using a pencil will prevent the marking from showing.
 
Repeat the measuring and marking on the second strip.
The next step is to draw a line from the top left corner of the strip to the mark that was just completed.  I do not have a ruler that is longer than 12 inches (needed to complete this step).  So, I used my paper trimmer.  I positioned the left top corner on the paper guide and then positioned the lower right mark into the opposite paper guide.  Closed the paper guide.
And cut!
Save the smaller piece for another project.
Repeat the process with the second strip.
Lay the strip on a flat surface.  Measure 2 3/4 inches up from the bottom of the left side and mark.  Measure 1 1/4 inches up from the bottom of the right side and mark.  Both markings are shown using the white gel pen.
The next step is to draw a line from one mark to the other.  Again, I am using the paper trimmer for this step, but I WILL NOT BE CUTTING! 
I used the white gel pen to draw the line.
The process was repeated on the second strip.
The paper strips are scored to create the folds that are needed to create the card base.
Position the straight edge of the strip against the top of the Scoreboard.  Using the bone folder that is provided, score the paper at 2 inches, 4 inches, 8 inches, and 10 inches.
I have marked the scoring with the white gel pen
Before removing the strip, make a mark at the 6 inch measure (as shown).
Repeat the steps on the second strip.
It is time to cut the paper to create the card base.
The two strips will be cut on opposite sides.
Begin by cutting the first strip on the diagonal side.  Cut on the 2-inch and 10 inch score lines up to the drawn center line.  Turn the strip around and find the 6 inch mark.  Cut at the 6 inch mark to the drawn center line.  There will be two cuts on one side and 1 cut on the opposite side.
The second strip will be cut on the long straight side.  Cut on the 2-inch and 10-inch score lines up the drawn center.  Turn the strip around and find the 6 inch mark.  Cut at the 6 inch mark to the drawn center line.  There will be two cuts on one side and 1 cut on the opposite side.
It is time to create the card base by sliding the two strips together.
Fold and slide all the strips together.  This will be a little awkward, but keep folding and sliding the slits together.
I forgot to take a photo of the card base without the layers.  This is how the card base will look from the top when all the cuts are matched.
 

The card base is completed and laid flat on the table surface.  It is time to create the layers for the card base.  I know that I will want to make this card again.  So, I created a pattern for each layer that I will be using on the card base.  Using Vellum I created a rough pattern for each layer.  Then created a set of labeled patterns for future use.
Pink layers waiting to be adhered to the card base.
To help keep the folds close and tight, I used a ruler and bone folder to score all the layers.
This is my design for the card base.  I wanted the cascade to be anchored with a folded card base.  The first card that I made, I used a single fold for the card base.  I was not happy with the way it worked.  I created a 'spine' fold to help support the heavy card front.
Use the second 12x12 inch cardstock to create the folded card base.  Cut a strip at 4 1/4 inches x 12 inches.
On the inside of the cardstock, score the strip at 5 7/8 inches (as shown).
Slide the cardstock over and score at 6 1/8 inches (as shown).
Fold on the score marks to form a 'spine' fold.
Before attaching the cascading front, I created a message area inside the folded card base.
The label dies are by Spellbinders.  The sentiment stamp is from Stampabilities.
It is time to attach the cascading front!
The cascading front is glued to the folded card base.
 
Tip...I used a liquid glue on all the phases of this card.  Because double-sided tape tends to dry out over time, I think pieces of the card will fall off.  Liquid glue lasts longer on heavier projects.
Decorative top of the card.
Cut 1 strip of decorative paper at 1 1/2 inches x 4 1/4 inches. 
Cut 1 strip of contrasting paper at 7/8 inch x 4 inches. 
Punch a decorative edge on one long strip. Stamp sentiment on contrasting paper and adhere to the longer strip.
The decorative top is adhered to the front top of the folded card base.
The card base is now ready for adding the flowers!
 
Phase 2 is creating the Cascading Flowers!
Click on this link for Phase 2!
 
Thank you for visiting my blog!!
Have a wonderful day!
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

Charlotte C said...

WOW I'M COMING BACK FOR MORE TOMORROW

Michele said...

I can hardly wait for tomorrow!

Susie Craft Happy! said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Susie

Nadia (WithGlitteringEyes.com) said...

Gorgeous card and fantastic tutorial! (I like yours better than the one in the mag!!)

TheTulipCollector said...

I agree with Nadia. I love your color selection and it all flows together so nicely!

Peggy T. said...

Carolyn, this is beyond beautiful. How are you?

Maria Sheila Jhun said...

Carolyn, It's really gorgeous! Thank you for the tutorial!

Jodie R said...

Gorgeous card! Your directions were perfect! Thank you for the tips and pics. I don't think I could have figured it out otherwise. I am a visual person 100%!