My Life Scripture

Philippians 4:4-7 (ESV English Standard Version) Holy Bible
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let the reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds through Christ Jesus.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Note Card Portfolio--Upgrade!

In a previous post I gave the instructions for creating a Note Card Portfolio.
The original portfolio was designed to hold single notecards and envelopes.  I wanted a portfolio that would hold folded cards and envelopes.  This required a more substantial portfolio.  My sister, Ruth, and I developed a portfolio that has a 'book' binding.  It is quick and easy to create the upgraded portfolio.  There are a couple of extra steps, but they are not difficult.  When completed, the Card Portfolio---Upgraded will hold up to 6 A2 folded cards and envelopes.
I am using a two sided sheet of 8 1/2 inch x 11 inch cardstock.
Score the paper at 5 1/4 inch and 5 3/4 inch (as shown in photo)
Turn the paper and score at 5 7/8 inches and 6 1/8 inches.
Tip...be sure to measure accurately!  My bone folder slipped while I was scoring these lines.  I did not notice it until I was folding the paper.  This caused a little bit of difficulty creating a nice, neat fold.  Score carefully!
Cut a slit up to the top score line.  Cut out the rectangle section between the score lines (as shown in photo).
Full view of scored and cut cardstock.
Fold on all score lines.
To create extra strength in the portfolio, cut strips of cardstock and adhere between the score marks.  The center strip is 1/2 inch x 6 inches.  The two smaller strips are 1/4 inch x 5 1/4 inches (as shown in photo).  Trim edges.  I also add the strips to the outside of the portfolio.  The strips not only add strength, but are decorative as well.
Fold the bottom edges up.
Fold portfolio.  I used a rounded corner punch in the top right corner.  Then trimmed the open edges to create a smooth edge.  While the portfolio is closed, punch a hole through all layers (no photo available of this step).  Be sure the hole is in the bottom section (as shown in next photo).
Cut a ribbon 23 inches long.  Fold the ribbon in half to find the center and adhere the center of the ribbon to the center of the opened portfolio (as shown).  The thread the ribbon through the holes to the outside of the portfolio (as shown).
Outside view of decorated Card Portfolio---Upgraded!
The cardstock on the front is from DCWV "The Spring Fling Matstack".
The dragonflies are a Sizzix die, decorated with blue gems and inked edges.
Another view!
Note Card Portfolio---Upgraded is now ready to hold up to 6 A2 folded cards and envelopes!
This is a sneak peak at my post tomorrow
"A Black and White Cricut and Cuttlebug Mother's Day!"

Thank you for visiting today!

8 comments:

Sis Patterson said...

Carolyn -

This is just stunning - thank you for sharing such clear directions - I will definitely have to try my hand at making one or more. Perfect - beautiful!

Francine said...

Wow Carolyn, this is fabulous! I think my MIL would enjoy getting something like this as a gift as she still writes many cards to friends. She is one of those pre-internet types. Thank you for sharing these clear instructions!

Kelly Rhoades said...

You are SO talented! I love the card you gave me and this is a beautiful idea! One day, I will need a card making class from you.

Rita said...

Love this. Still have the one I made when you shared it with the Circle. Later I modified the instructions to hold pictures from an all girls Disneyland trip. They loved them.

Diane said...

Simple and yet stunning! I love everything that you make!

Mom of 2 Monsters said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I may scraplift this idea for Teacher Appreciation gifts.

cdm317 said...

Carolyn these are fantastic! Thank you for the tutorial. I want to try to make one of them soon.
Colleen

Barb Parker said...

Very nice work ! I love the portfolio and will definitely "steal" your idea for some gifts to friends ! Thanks for sharing - from "CricutCrazy" on the MB